In the career arena, the big buzz word is all about “personal branding.” When referring to online personal branding we are often talking about social media outlets like Linkedin, Twitter, and even Facebook to an extent.
I do agree that building a personal brand on social media can do wonders for your career. That being said, starting a blog can be one of the greatest steps you can make in your career. Here are a few reasons why you need to start a blog to build your career.
- A blog has a wide reach – not long in my blogging journey, I discovered that people were reading my blog posts from all over the world. Many opportunities can arise from that kind of exposure.
- A blog allows you to test your thoughts and ideas – a blog is a great testing ground for you as you write about things you are learning about in your career.
- A blog can display your expertise – Write down all of the minor and major questions that people are asking in your field. Whether they are simple answers or complex answers, write about each one and display your knowledge as an industry insider in your niche.
- A blog is open 24/7 – even while you are working a full-time job a blog is open for you. It is complete leverage. Whether your goal is to expand your customer base, make money, or just grow your expertise, a blog can do all of that for you.
- A blog can land you a new job – I have read countless stories of bloggers who have been offered well-paid positions. You never quite know who is reading your musings online. A company or business owner very well may like your expertise and want to reach out and hire you.
How to Start a Blog
Back in April of last year, I launched a new blog called Blogging Your Passion. I partnered with another full-time blogger with the simple goal of helping others pursue their passion through blogging and make money in the process.
Blogging Your Passion University
Not long after that we launched Blogging Your Passion University. It is an online blogging course, that walks you step by step on how to build a successful blog. It is designed to take people with little or no knowledge and give them an action plan to follow.
So far, the course have been hugely successful and we have gotten great feedback. As of right now, we have two courses BYPU 101 and BYPU 201. Here is a brief explanation of each:
Blogging Your Passion 101
The Blogging 101 course is for those who have zero experience with blogging. Our mindset when we created this course is that it doesn’t matter if you are 8 or 80, you can follow along in these videos.
We cover the essentials of getting started such as:
- How to discover your passion
- How to select a domain name
- How to set up WordPress
- An overview of the WordPress dashboard
- And much more (22+ videos in the course)
If you are interested in a beginner’s course for blogging, then this is the course for you. For a limited time, I am offering a 50% discount for readers of my blog. Just type in “cpacareercoach” in the discount coupon box. You can find out more about the course here: Blogging Your Passion 101.
Blogging Your Passion University 201
The BYPU 201 course is for those who already have a blog set up, but have not quite figured out how to get traffic or make money.
If you have toiled with starting your own accounting or tax practice, then this would be right for you as well.
If you already have a blog, then this is the best place to start. Some of the highlights include:
- How to get traffic from Linkedin
- How to get traffic from Twitter
- How to get traffic from Google
- How to get traffic from Facebook
- Optimizing your blog for Google
- How to promote your blog
- How to write content for your blog
- 5 Simple ways to make money with your blog
- That is just a preview! (44+ videos/ 5 hours of video instruction)
We cover just about every topic imaginable and have broken it down into easy to understand steps. Below is the course outline that shows you everything that we teach in the course.
In addition, I am also offering a $20 discount off the price for readers of this blog. Use the coupon code “cpacareercoach” and it will adjust the price lower. You can watch the video overview and get more details here: Blogging Your Passion 201.
We could sit and talk all day at the benefits I have received in my career by starting a blog. I want the same for you. If you have more questions. Feel free to reach out to me personally on my about page.