As many of you know, this blog has been dedicated to providing the best job search tips and career coaching exercises that you can find online. It is hard to believe we have been at this for over 4 years now.
Up until now, this blog has been branded to help Accounting & Finance professionals in building their careers. I started in that niche because in my previous career I had spent 7 years as an Executive Search Consultant to Accounting & Finance professionals. While I am not abandoning my fellow accountants, a rebranding of this blog has been overdue.
Behind the Scenes of CPACareerCoach.com
CPACareerCoach out grew its niche over a year ago. Every week I was receiving email inquiries from non-accounting professionals asking if I was able to help them in their job search/career. I saw this as a growing problem.
At first, I decided that I would just place this problem on the shelf, but I continued to see it as something I was going to need to address. To be honest, fear has been the biggest contributor to not making the switch sooner. Some of the fearful thoughts were:
- I don’t want to alienate the accounting & finance professionals I have built a relationship with over the years
- I don’t want to lose my search engine rankings and the traffic I have worked hard to build because of switching domain names
- I don’t know if I am ready to push myself into the limelight by switching the domain name to JonathanMilligan.com (allowing fear to control my thoughts).
What finally pushed me over the edge were two dominating thoughts:
1. I want to build a blog around something I am deeply passionate about.
2. I want to meet the deep needs that career professionals are facing in today’s moving landscape.
Once I really began to connect with the above two statements, what I needed to do became clearer.
What Will JonathanMilligan.com Be All About?
First of all, I am not abandoning the job search/career advice that I offer on a regular basis. If anything, you will get more resources to help you discover the work you love. Here is a short list of what you will get from this blog in the days ahead:
Building a Personal Business Model
I want to teach you a one-page method for reinventing your career. Having a personal business model will help you to know where your strengths are and what type of work is best for you.
Personal Branding Online
Whether you realize it or not, the work landscape has changed. The average worker spends less than 4 years on average at their current place of employment. What you need more than anything is to build a presence online. Stop being invisible and make it so that others can find you. Position yourself as an expert in what you do best.
How to Become a Portable Executive (Launch Your Own Freedom Business)
There is a major trend happening. Do you want to be a part of it? Many workplace professionals are leaving the cubicle for the coffee shop. They are taking their expertise on the road. We are moving to a new Connection Economy (as Seth Godin states). I have a portable business, which allows me to work anywhere. I want to share the path with professionals that want to escape the cubicle.
How to Become More Productive
I love learning about productivity. I want to share with you the things that helped me to do the following (in the last 12 months):
- Write a Best-selling Career Book on Amazon Kindle
- Create a 30 Day “Get Productive” Course
- Create a 30 Day “Job Search Challenge” Online Course
- Design a “Kindle Your Passion” Online Course that walks aspiring authors through the process of earning passive money on Amazon Kindle
- Co-Create two online blogging tutorial courses, known as Blogging Your Passion University 201 & 301 course (they include over 40+ videos and pdf checklists)
- Write at least 3+ posts a week for 3 different blogs.
- Go on 5+ vacations with my family
If you challenge yourself and use the right tools, you can double your productivity. How would it feel to accomplish more goals this year?
I hope you can feel the excitement and passion that I have for the days ahead. Consider adding us on your RSS feed or sign up for the newsletter so you can get a weekly snapshot of the content, resources, and exercises that we have planned for you.
Question: What would you like to see covered on the new JonathanMilligan.com blog?